Easy to unsubscribe and no spam, promise.
Or follow on Twitter, RSS.
Let us together review what happened in NixOS community in last 2 weeks. We are always looking to improve.
Let us know how we can do better.
- Many of you are not aware, but you can easily subscribe and help triage tickets and pull requests in NixOS/nixpkgs repository.
- Branch-Off and Release Timeline for NixOS 17.03.
- Hydra Building PRs discussion with a follow-up discussion. The service is merging with hydra.nixos.org.
- Nixpkgs Overlays pull request proposed by Nicolas B. Pierron got merged (more discussion).
Some of you might have heard about NixOS and its very different approach to a package and configuration management. While I am certainly not an expert with Nix myself I did tinker with it for a bit and I think it's awesome. I would like to give you an idea of the concepts, possibilities and maybe spark some interest.
Feb 24–26, 2017, HackIllinois, University of Illinois, USA
For any university students in the US, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is holding a hackathon oriented towards getting people into open source development, and I'm going to be mentoring people for Nix/NixOS/Haskell development. Be sure to put "NixOS" or "Haskell" into your application somewhere.
Meetups that just happened
- Feb 03, 2017, Nix and Beyond: Pure Functional Package Management at Louisville Haskell Meetup, Louisville, USA
Smarkets, London, United Kingdom
The jobs are not a Nix jobs per se since we are not using Nix at the moment. However, internally few of us are interested in trying it for e.g. building AMIs or provisioning docker containers with (mostly) python software. We think some strong candidate with experience of using Nix in production would have a good chance of seeing some adoption here.
Write us if you are looking for some Nix developers.
Lately, I was thinking about the structure of this newsletter and noticed that it is quite advance Nix oriented. Would a section where we would promote questions from reddit / stack overflow be of any help to newcomers? Let me know.